Friday, April 24, 2009

Journey Into Figure Competitions...

What an awesome experience!!

Well I just finished my first 2 competitions 3 weeks apart and had drastically different results between the two of them. And now people are asking me when I became interested in lifting and competing...here's the story...

A little history on me and sports...I've done it all, or a lot of it anyway. I wasn't the best at all of it, but I had to try a bit of everything. If you've looked over my website you've probably read what I've been involved in over the years.

When I was 14 I became more aware of fitness and health in general. Dad started taking me to the YMCA to workout. THANKS DAD!!! I also started reading "workout" magazines. I was fascinated by an event, the Galaxy Competition. It had a sweet obstacle course as part of it, and I think a swimsuit round as well. I followed a gal named Mia Finnegan. So that's how I got this idea in my head. Then I went on to follow Monica Brant and Tanji Johnson both Fitness/Figure athletes. (I used to rip pictures of Monica out of magazines and to stick on the mirror for motivation. I thought I kind of look like her...so it was easier to picture getting in that kind of shape. And you know what!!! At the Emerald Cup last weekend 3 different people told me I look like her!! What a compliment for my rookie self!!)

Ok...on with my story (:

After my Freshman year of college (and three broken feet), I came home to stay with my parents, and found a little gym where the owner trained me for free over the summer. He told me I had the body to compete and he put the idea back in my head.

In college I played some soccer and became better a lifting. I remember telling some of the football players if I don't make the soccer team, I'm going to train for fitness competitions.

A few years later, in the town where I had my first weather anchor job I was asked again if I competed. No, don't have time was my answer. The guy that asked me this time used to be a judge for Idaho competitions and he told me I should consider it because I have the legs.

So finally in November '08 I went to a workshop IFBB Pro Tanji Johnson held in the Seattle area. And I put it in my head I can get in that kind of shape by March '09. She and her team, Save Fitness have been great mentors!

Next Blog: The Diet!!!!